The Shanawdithit Shelter is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can accommodate up to 23 people
requiring temporary housing. As the Shelter receives no outside funding it operates on a fee for service
basis and works with funders to ensure individuals requiring services are accommodated.
The Shelter, while open to all people, is primarily geared towards the particular needs of the visiting
Aboriginal community who are in St. John`s temporarily for medical services.
The following are a list of services and amenities that the Shelter is pleased to offer:
- Free laundry services
- Wireless internet
- Common room equipped with a computer and children’s toys and books
- Flat screen television with cable
- Each room has a private telephone for local calls
- Quality linins and towels
- Kitchen that serves a menu based on the Canada Food Guide and is Diabetic Friendly. We are also able to accommodate other diets such as gluten free, sodium free etc.
- While staying at the Shelter clients may avail of all St. Johns Native Friendship Center Programs
- Shuttle services are available for shopping and non-medical related areas for a small fee